Royal Court Theatre, Liverpool
The site of the Royal Court Theatre has been at the heart of Liverpool culture for nearly 200 years.
It was first opened in 1826 as Cooke’s New Circus and renamed in 1831 as Cooke’s Amphitheatre of Arts, presenting a programme of opera, music, theatre and ballet.
It was renamed the Royal Court Theatre in 1881 and was the number one touring venue in Liverpool for popular theatre until the 1970s.
Support from the Heritage Lottery Fund enabled the Royal Court Liverpool Trust to start the first substantial renovation work in the theatre for nearly 75 years.
Work in phase one focussed on the auditorium to make maximum impact on audiences who were desperate for new seats, better bar facilities and improved access.
The newly refurbished theatre opened with a new play written by Dave Kirby, Reds and Blues, and the works were completed on time and to budget.
Evertaut worked closely with The Royal Court Liverpool Trust and architects Allford Hall Monaghan Morris to create a seating scheme that would modernise and restore the Royal Court, making it a better environment for their audience.
Evertaut fulfilled this requirement by re-working the theatre’s existing free standing chairs.
The seat boards were re-polished to a high standard, fitted with an upholstered seat pad and fitted to a swivel pedestal base unit.
The requirement for the Circle was to have new and comfortable seats that were still in keeping with the look and feel of a traditional theatre chair.
The chair was supplied with a polished outer back to give it the traditional theatre style and refinement.
Detailed seating plans were prepared and approved prior to the installation of 403 chairs in the Circle including a bespoke two seater ‘love seat’ version of the chair along the back row.
The seats were professionally installed on time and within the agreed budget.
The requirement for the balcony seating was to have a new and comfortable seat, designed to match the high back style of the original seating.
The chair was supplied with high polished outer back to give it the traditional theatre style but to also fulfill the health and safety requirements due to the high steps in the balcony.
Detailed seating plans were prepared and approved prior to the installation of 454 chairs in the balcony.
Again, the seats were professionally installed on time and within the agreed budget.